REVEL Running Retreat
REVEL Race Series is pleased to announce its inaugural REVEL Running Retreat on September 9-13, 2020, in Park City, Utah, at the beautiful Doubletree by Hilton Park City. Designed specifically for runners who love the fast and beautiful downhill courses in the REVEL Race Series, the REVEL Running Retreat (R3) is an affordable, informative, and enjoyable 3-day program that will boost your knowledge, ability, and confidence in racing any of the downhill courses in the REVEL series!
Limited to only 50 participants, the retreat offers instruction for runners of all abilities, focusing on techniques and strategies for downhill racing. The program will feature workouts and lectures by experienced REVEL coaches, led by Coach Paul Carmona, who has coached hundreds of runners for REVEL marathons and half-marathons. All the coaching staff have qualified for Boston on multiple REVEL marathon courses, and have run PRs in REVEL half-marathons. Coach Paul and his staff will work directly with you over the 3-day retreat, sharing their tips and secrets for downhill racing success!With small group and one-on-one sessions, as well as large group lectures and workouts designed specifically for downhill training and racing, participants will become well-versed in downhill workouts, leg-strengthening exercises, speed work designed for downhill racing, and race strategy specifically targeted at any of the REVEL courses. In addition, the retreat will include workshops on hydration, nutrition, avoiding or dealing with injuries, foam rolling and yoga, and many other training and racing tips from the veteran REVEL coaching staff. The retreat agenda also includes running the REVEL Big Cottonwood Marathon or Half-Marathon on Saturday, September 12, 2020.
What You Get
- 3-day exclusive participation in immersive retreat
- Multiple lectures and seminars focused on improving your running experience
- Opportunity to rub shoulders with Olympic athletes, published running scholars, and REVEL executives
- One-on-one meetings and planning sessions with expert coaches
- Live demonstrations and coaching on technique, form, and other training areas
- Printed literature regarding multiple running-related topics
- Branded REVEL Running Jacket and other SWAG
- Multiple catered meals
- Discount for REVEL Online Coaching Program
- Big Cottonwood Race Bag/Bib Delivery at Retreat
- Big Cottonwood Course Review by Coach Paul
- Bus transportation to/from Big Cottonwood Marathon or Half-Marathon start/finish
- *Participants must register separately for the REVEL Big Cottonwood Marathon or Half-Marathon. Race registration is not included in the Retreat.
Schedule of Events
The REVEL Running Retreat will begin with a welcome reception on Wednesday, September 9, 2020, where you will meet other Retreat participants, the REVEL coaches, and REVEL Race Series staff. Thursday and Friday mornings will begin with group runs.
Wednesday, Sept 9
- 3:00 pm Check In
- 5:30 pm Welcome Reception
Thursday, Sept 10
- 7:00 am: Downhill technique workout
- 8:30 am: Full breakfast (included)
- 10:00 am: Overview of all REVEL courses, Coach Paul
- 11:30 am: Lunch (on your own)
- 1:00 pm: REVEL Big Cottonwood course review
- 2:00 pm: Workshops (groups of 12-15 will attend 40-min sessions with each of the REVEL coaches)
- 5:30 pm: Group run in Park City
- 7:00 pm: Dinner (included) with speaker Dr. Iain Hunter, PhD
Friday, Sept 11
- 7:00 am: Group run in Park City
- 8:00 am: Full breakfast (included)
- 9:00 am: One-on-One sessions begin with REVEL Coaches
- 12:00 pm: Lunch (on your own)
- Afternoon: Free time/massages available
Saturday, Sept 12
- 4:30 am: Load buses for REVEL Big Cottonwood Marathon & Half-Marathon (buses will bring you back from finish to the hotel)
- 6:45 am: REVEL Big Cottonwood race
- 3:00 pm: Poolside social gathering with Coaches
- 6:00 pm: Dinner (included) with speaker Jared Ward - US Olympic Marathoner
Sunday, Sept 13
- 11:00 am Checkout
2016 U.S. Men's Olympic Marathoner,
2015 USA Marathon Champion
Jared Ward is the 2015 USA Marathon Champion and placed 6th overall at the 2016 Olympic Marathon in Rio de Janeiro. With a PR of 2:09:25 at the 2019 Boston Marathon, Ward is considered a favorite for the 2020 Olympic Team. With a Master's Degree in Statistics, he teaches as an adjunct professor at Brigham Young University and enjoys combining his passions for distance running and data analysis. Ward will join REVEL Running Retreat participants for an afternoon and evening during the retreat and will present on how to train with an elite mindset. He will also be available for a Q&A session and photo opportunities.
PhD, Department of Exercise Sciences,
Brigham Young University
Dr. Iain Hunter is a professor of biomechanics at Brigham Young University. Hunter has been studying the mechanics of running related to performance since 1997 and has published multiple groundbreaking studies in his field. He works with USA Track and Field (USATF) as the lead biomechanics expert for the steeplechase. Hunter's running experience includes racing the 800 meters for BYU and extending his range of racing to the marathon as a post-collegiate. His first marathon was in 2007. In his second marathon, he became the oldest winner ever of the St George Marathon. His other accomplishments in the St George Marathon include setting age group records four times. Dr. Hunter's current PR is 2:20:53.
REVEL Head Coach Paul Carmona has designed marathon and half-marathon training plans specifically for REVEL downhill courses. Coach Paul has run multiple Boston Qualifers on every REVEL marathon course he has run, with his current streak at 20 BQs in a row at REVEL marathons.
Coach Paul has trained thousands of runners for more than 15 years, and hundreds have run PRs and BQs using Coach Paul's downhill-specific training plans for REVEL races.
As a 9-time Boston finisher, a 100-mile ultramarathoner, and Ironman triathlete, Coach Paul's philosophy is "get to the start line healthy and the finish line happy."
Katie Carmona serves as a coach for all REVEL half-marathon training programs. Katie has run BQs on multiple REVEL marathon courses, and a series of consecutive half-marathon PRs on REVEL courses.
A 2-time Boston finisher and 20-time marathon finisher, Katie has trained with Coach Paul since her frst marathon in 2005. Since then, she has paced dozens of half-marathons while training for marathons year-round.
Katie's philosophy is to maximize training quality, not quantity. She usually runs lower weekly mileage but maintains consistency for success. In 2019, Katie ran REVEL Kulia (BQ), Boston, and London in 7 weeks.
Kara Levy has served as a coach for the REVEL-Boston training program, and for other REVEL Advanced Marathon Training Programs. Kara is a 2-time Boston finisher, and a veteran of more than 21 marathons.
Having trained with Coach Paul for 10 years, Kara has become a true downhill specialist: she has run 10 REVEL marathons and BQ'd all 10, with an average finish more than 5 minutes under her BQ time.
Kara holds multiple certifcations in fitness, wellness, and nutrition. As a full-time Medical and Wellness Program Administrator for Whole Foods Market, she knows how to get healthy and stay healthy.
Shaina Zelazo has coaching experience that ranges from high school cross country and track to The Portland Marathon and Half-Marathon training programs (with Coach Paul Carmona).
Shaina competed at the college level in cross country and track, and still competes in everything from 5Ks to ultra-marathons to triathlons, where she has qualifed numerous times for Age Group Nationals. A 3-time Boston finisher and multiple REVEL finisher, Shaina has trained with Coach Paul for REVEL marathons and half-marathons, as well as Boston and ultras.
Shaina has a philosophy of "finding the balance" in life, from healthy eating to regular fitness.
Lodging for the Retreat is exclusively at the Doubletree by Hilton Park City at the special REVEL Running Retreat rate of $139/night + daily resort fee and tax. Note that the cost of lodging is not included in the registration fee for the retreat. Participants need to book their own lodging separately and are encouraged to do so as soon as possible.
To book your stay, call Group Reservations at 855-537-5305 and reference "REVEL Coaching Clinic." If you prefer to make your reservation online, visit the DoubleTree website and click on the red link that says "Add special rate codes" on the left side of the page. Enter the group code HD1RRSC.