By indicating your acceptance, you understand, agree, warrant, and covenant as follows:
Release and Waiver of Liability Agreement: all volunteers in the Revel Kulia Marathon & Half Marathon and related events ('Race') are required to assume all risk of participation in the Race by signing this release and waiver of liability agreement.
The undersigned athlete ("Athlete") on behalf of himself/herself and on behalf of the Athlete's personal representatives, assigns, heirs, executors, hereby fully and forever releases, waives, discharges and covenants not to sue Brooksee LLC, the State of Hawaii Department of Transportation, the County of Hawaii, its elected officials, officers, boards, commissions, agents and employees, the Hawaii Police Department, Hamakua Renewable Enterprises, and any other sponsoring or co-sponsoring companies, permitting authorities, agencies, individuals, and volunteers related to the Race (collectively, "Releasees") from all liability to the Athlete and his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs and executors, for all loss(es) or damage(s) and any and all claims or demands therefore, on account of injury to the Athlete or property or resulting in the death of the Athlete, whether caused by the active or passive negligence of all or any of the Releasees or otherwise, in connection with the Athlete's participation in the Race. The Athlete represents and warrants that he/she is in good physical condition and is able to safely participate in the Race. The Athlete is fully aware of the risks and hazards inherent in participating in the Race and hereby elects to voluntarily compete in the Race, knowing the risks associated with the Race, including, without limitation, weather conditions such as high heat and/or humidity, traffic and the condition of the road, all such risks being known and appreciated by the Athlete. The Athlete hereby assumes all risks of loss(es), damage(s), or injury(ies) that may be sustained by him/her while participating in the Race. The Athlete agrees to the use of his/her name and photograph in broadcasts, newspapers, brochures and other media without compensation. In the event the Race is delayed or prevented by reason of fire, threatened or actual strike, labor difficulty, work stoppage, insurrection, war, public disaster, flood, unavoidable casualty, acts of God or the elements (including, without limitation, hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes), or any other cause beyond the control of Brooksee LLC, there shall be no refund of the entry fee or any other costs of the Athlete in connection with the Race. The Athlete hereby grants to the medical director(s) of the Race and his or her agents, affiliates and designees, access to all medical records (and physicians) as needed and authorizes medical treatment as needed. The Athlete warrants that all statements made herein are true and correct and understands that Releasees have relied on them in allowing the Athlete to participate in the Race.
2. WAIVER OF LIABILITY
The Athlete understands that participation in the event is potentially hazardous, and that a registered party should not participate unless they are medically able and properly trained. You understand that events may be held over public roads and facilities open to the public during the event and upon which hazards are to be expected. Participation carries with it certain inherent risks that cannot be eliminated completely ranging from minor injuries to catastrophic injuries including death. You understand and agree that in consideration of being permitted to participate in the event, you and any registered party, the heirs, personal representatives or assigns of you or the registered party do hereby release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue Releasees for any and all liability from any and all claims arising from participation in the event by you or any registered party, including death, injury, property damage, and lost or stolen items. By indicating your acceptance of this agreement and waiver, you are affirming that you have read and understand this agreement and waiver and fully understand its terms. You understand that you are giving up substantial rights, including the right to sue. You acknowledge that you are signing the agreement and waiver freely and voluntarily, and intend your acceptance to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent allowed by law.
For and in consideration of USA Track & Field, Inc. (“USA Track & Field”) allowing me, the undersigned, to participate in the USA Track & Field sanctioned event described above (the “Event” or “Events”); I, for myself, and on behalf of my spouse, children, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, hereby agree to and make the following contractual representations pursuant to this Waiver and Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement (the “Agreement”);
1. I hereby represent that (i) I am at least eighteen (18) years of age (or this Agreement is agreed to by my parent, natural guardian, or legal guardian (the “Guardian”)); (ii) I am in good health and in proper physical condition to participate in the Event; and (iii) I am not under the influence of alcohol or any illicit or prescription drugs which would in any way impair my ability to safely participate in the Event. I agree that it is my sole responsibility to determine whether I am sufficiently fit and healthy enough to participate in the Event, that I am responsible for my own safety and well-being at all times and under all circumstances while at the Event site.
2. I understand and acknowledge that participation in track & field, road running, race walking, cross country, mountain, ultra, trail running, and hand cycle or other mobility impaired Events is inherently dangerous and represents an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits. I understand and acknowledge the risks and dangers associated with participation in the Event and sport of track & field and related activities, including without limitation, the potential for serious bodily injury, sickness and disease, permanent disability, paralysis and loss of life; loss of or damage to equipment/property; exposure to extreme conditions and circumstances; contact with other participants, spectators, animals or other natural or manmade objects; dangers arising from adverse weather conditions; imperfect course or track conditions; land, water and surface hazards; equipment failure; inadequate safety measures; participants of varying skill levels; situations beyond the immediate control of the Event Organizers; and other undefined, not readily foreseeable and presently unknown risks and dangers (“Risks”). I understand that these Risks may be caused in whole or in part by my own actions or inactions, the actions or inactions of others participating in the Event, or the negligent acts or omissions of the Released Parties defined below, and I hereby expressly assume all such Risks and responsibility for any damages, liabilities, losses or expenses which I incur as a result of my participation in any Event.
3. I agree to be familiar with and to abide by the Rules and Regulations established for the Event, including but not limited to the Competition Rules adopted by USA Track & Field, U.S. Paralympics, and any safety regulations established for the benefit of all participants. I accept sole responsibility for my own conduct and actions while participating in the Event, and the condition and adequacy of my equipment.
4. I hereby release, waive and covenant not to sue, and further agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the following parties: USA Track & Field, Inc., its members, clubs, associations, sport disciplines and divisions; United States Olympic Committee (USOC); the event directors, the host organization and the facility, venue and property owners or operators upon which the Event takes place; and any other organizers, promoters, sponsors, advertisers, coaches and officials for this Event; law enforcement agencies and other public entities providing support for the Event; and each of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, partners, shareholders, members, agents, employees and volunteers (Individually and collectively, the “Released Parties” or “Event Organizers”), with respect to any liability, claim(s), demand(s), cause(s) of action, damage(s), loss or expense (including court costs and attorneys’ fees) of any kind or nature (“Liability”) which may arise out of, result from, or relate in any way to my participation in the Event, including claims for Liability caused in whole or in part by the negligent acts or omissions of the Released Parties. I further agree that if, despite this Agreement, I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim for Liability against any of the Released Parties, I will indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any such Liabilities which any may be incurred as the result of such claim.
5. As a condition of my participation in the Event, I hereby grant USA Track & Field, Inc., the event director and host organization a limited license to use my name, likeness, image, photograph, voice, video, athletic performance, biographical and other information (collectively, “Likeness”), in any media platform or format whatsoever, and to distribute, broadcast and exhibit these without charge, restriction or liability, but only for the purposes of advertising or promoting the Event, USATF, or the sport of Athletics. The foregoing grant, however, does not constitute consent for USATF or any third party to use my Likeness in an endorsement of any product or service without my specific written consent.
I hereby warrant that I (or the Guardian, if I am under the age of 18) am of legal age and competent to enter into this Agreement, that I have read this Agreement carefully, understand its terms and conditions, acknowledge that I will be giving up substantial legal rights by signing it (including the rights of my spouse, children, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns), acknowledge that I have signed this Agreement without any inducement, assurance or guarantee, and intend for my signature to serve as confirmation of my complete and unconditional acceptance of the terms, conditions and provisions of this Agreement. This Agreement represents the complete understanding between the parties regarding these issues and no oral representations, statements or inducements have been made apart from this Agreement. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this Agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
If the participant is under the age of 18, the Guardian hereby agrees to release and discharge the Released Parties as follows: a) The Guardian acknowledges and understands that the Event is inherently dangerous and represents an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits. Further, the Guardian acknowledges and understands the Risks, as defined above. b) The Guardian acknowledges the rights waived by both the Guardian and the participant by accepting this Agreement. c) The Guardian acknowledges that the Guardian will indemnify the Released Parties from any and all Liability which may arise out of, result from, or relate in any way to the participant’s participation in the Event, including claims for Liability caused in whole or in part by the negligent acts or omissions of the Released Parties.