2017 REVEL Big Cottonwood Marathon
Published: Sept. 11, 2017, 7:25 a.m.
Describe your race day.
Super fun; painful(!); disappointing in the end. But still, super-fun!!
Did you PR?
yep. Personal worst. Oh well!
How would you describe the course?
- The course is absolutely gorgeous: worth every minute of discomfort.
- The grade KILLED me. I'm a negative-splitter, but that was impossible to do on this course. The grade forces a fast start, so I was wrecked for the last 1/4 of the race. Darn!
- EVERY SINGLE VOLUNTEER was AWESOME. THEY are the ones that deserve MEDALS!
Tell us about your training.
- Even though I am an ultra runner, my training CLEARLY did not include enough DOWNHILL running!
ha ha ha ha ha
- My training advice to others = do some serious downhill running. If your quads don't hurt the day after your downhill training session, find a steeper grade and train some more.
What advice would you give future runners?
- This is a truly UNIQUE course; be ready for it!
- Bring EVEN WARMER pre-race clothes than you think you need. You'll be glad you did. (And if you don't need them, a skimpier-dressed fellow runner will be happy to share.
***Come with friends so you can share the pain and glory!***
What fun things did you do in the area before or after the race?
- OMG: The band at the finish line was amazing. LOVED THEM!! And the local restaurants killed.
- 6 of us flew in from Toronto Ontario a day before race. Some stayed but I was one who had to leave right after, so I really didn't get to enjoy the area to its fullest.